In order to be eligible and sign up for our Wellness Program you must have been diagnosed with breast cancer, whether that is recently or in the past. The services offered are free to those who qualify.
You will need to complete the WP form and you do that by either calling to see us at #19 Grand Harbour or completing the WP form which you will find in the ‘Resources list below’ – and sending it back to us, we will need to meet you so if you are unable to come to us, we can make arrangements to come to you.
Once the formalities have been done, we will be able to help and advice you in any way we can. Here is a list of some of the services we provide:
- Call us 923 1135 – 936 1135 – 938 1135 – 936 1136 we listen, we advise, our aim is to help YOU.
- We can talk through your diagnosis, help you to find the relevant information, advice and guide you through what is an exceedingly difficult time
- Help you with diet, nutrition and exercise before, during and after treatments
- Provide private counselling for you and your close family, it is a scary and tough time for everyone close to you
- The BCF Support groups are available, your fellow breast cancer survivors and patients can be the best source of comfort for you, sharing tips and advise with you, these groups are small, intimate and private, subjects vary and we try to match similar persons a qualified psychologist/counsellor facilitates the groups. Please contact us for details.
- Several times a year we will have a bigger meeting which will be more informative, a guest speaker will be invited to talk about a relevant subject and will be available for questions, to be invited to any of these meetings, simply ask to be added to our mailing list.
- We can advise you on the financial side as your circumstances may change and we will assist you to get help.
- We can act as your advocate should you need us, be there with you for appointments etc. just ask us.
- If you told you require a surgical compression bra for just after surgery and the hospital does not supply one, we can supply that to you.
PLEASE NOTE: The BCF works closely with local and overseas medical professionals and requires that all individuals consult with their doctors before participation in this program.
- We will be there to support you through your treatments, there are three chemotherapy units here in Cayman, H.S.A., Doctors Hospital and Health City.
- Should you need radiotherapy, you will have to go off-island for that, we can support you as much as we can whilst you are away for what will be several weeks.
- If you wish to try to retain your hair during chemotherapy treatments, we can advise you on the use of the cold caps, the Foundation has supplied cold caps to all three of the chemotherapy units here in Cayman, they are at no cost to you. These caps have worked very well for many people and have been widely used in the UK for over 40 years, they are safe and do not interfere in any way with your chemotherapy treatments. There is a regime you need to stick to in order to give yourself the best chance of the caps working, contact us for details.
- If you choose to not use the cold caps, we can help with wigs and scarves, we have a private fitting room here at our BC Centre in Grand Harbour, please call for an appointment.
- Your nails and skin will both will suffer whilst having your treatments, we can offer advice and supply products that can help.
- Anyone going through breast cancer surgery has the added risk of lymphoedema, arms should be measured and checked prior to surgery and monitored afterwards, we have lots of useful information on how to monitor and check on your own arm(s) and can arrange checks and treatments where necessary, some person will be covered by their insurance for these checks, many will not, we work alongside fully trained lymphoedema experts (physiotherapists) fully Medically Certified in Lymphatic Drainage and Wrapping.
- We offer help with mental and physical health, yoga, stretching, Pilates, gym memberships, Mindfulness, hypnotherapy techniques, meditation, counseling and of course our support groups
- Acupuncture – this can extremely helpful with the neuropathy and muscle aches, as well as the onset of menopause, all side effects of your treatments and medications.
- Nutritional help – a dietician appointment(s) can be supplied to you, getting you on the best and most helpful nutritional plan is our aim, we can also provide these foods for you if your finances are limited.
- Massage and reflexology are also offered.
The future, after your treatments have finished
- We want to keep you well, so we can offer ongoing exercise programs, yoga, gym memberships, walking in groups, swimming lessons etc.. We can fund or part-fund these activities for you depending on your individual circumstances.
- Offer help and advice on eating plans and staying on a good diet and keeping to a healthy lifestyle, if your insurance does not cover the cost of seeing a dietician on a regular basis, we can arrange that for you. This can include help buying vitamin tablets recommended by your doctor.
- Physiotherapy, we can cover a portion of this for you if your insurance does not cover you, (up to 100% depending on your individual circumstances)
- Counselling, PTSD is a common problem after treatments we aim to help you and your family come to terms with what has happened and how to move forward.
- We offer a fully stocked bra/prosthetic service, please call to make an appointment, we offer, free of charge, two specialized bras per year and prosthetics approximately every two years. We also supply specially adapted swimsuits/tankinis along with the swim prosthetics.
Radiation treatments are not currently available in Cayman, we hope in the next year or two, this will change with the opening of the Cancer Centre at Health City. We are lucky enough to have a PET scanner here in Cayman, this is run by Baptist Health and is based at their clinic on Smith Road.
Janette Fitzgerald – 923-1135
Lydia Forbes – 936 1135
Wellness Program Coordinator
Fiona Barrett – 936 1135
Wellness Program Coordinator
Pam Laurenson – 936 1136
Wellness Program Coordinator
- Self Lymphatic Drainage for the upper limb using ‘Fill and Flush’ technique
- Cold Caps and other treatments during Chemotherapy
- Lymphatic massage and wrapping grant
- Lymphoedema Training Grant Recipient
- Chemotherapy Cold Caps Programme
- Cold caps can help to stop hair loss during chemotherapy treatments